Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chloe by Mychael Danna (Review)


Mychael Danna has just come from co- composing an amazing score with his brother for The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus. When I first saw the trailer for Chloe nothing about it appealed to me, so I can’t say I was expecting anything great from the score.


The first track sets up our main theme, and it isn’t bad. However it doesn’t really jump up and connect with you. Then again, this is a very quiet score. The problem is that this quiet score doesn’t make any real attempt to connect with you emotionally so it’s just sort of there. The tracks really blend together so there isn’t anything that really stands out except for when the main theme finds its way back into the score now and then.


To be honest I found the entire experience quite distant and boring. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of quiet and atmospheric scores out there that manage to be incredibly emotionally engaging. The Hurt Locker is a pretty recent example of that. It’s just that when a score itself can’t take me on an emotional journey and tell me a story I find it really hard to enjoy the experience.


So, for me I’m gonna have to say pass on Chloe and keep on listening to Doctor Parnassus.

No comments:

Post a Comment